Ithlilian's Reviews > Dragon's Milk

Jan 11, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult
Read in November, 2009

I made the mistake of believing this novel was entirely about getting milk from a dragon for a sick sister. The first 50 pages or so may have been about the main character babysitting dragons in exchange for milk, but dragon slayers and rude townsfolk soon changed the story. I hesitate to give more of the plot since the book is so short. So I will refrain from spoilers and give my thoughts instead. I think that Dragon's Milk is a decent children's story, but it is a bit sad. Most of the novel is spent running away from enemies and with the characters in mortal danger. It's not a heartwarming tale about fun friendly baby dragons and their interesting exploits. I may have enjoyed it more if it was. Instead, the novel is fast paced and short, yet depressing and disheartening at the same time. As in many children's books the plot is simplistic to the point that it can be summed up in a few sentences. Overall, a decent way to spend an hour of your time, but not really an escape. A short, easy, sometimes endearing novel that is worth a try, but not worth a reread.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragon's Milk.