Barbara's Reviews > Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe by Walter Scott

Jan 14, 11

bookshelves: 2011, audio, classics, catch-up-classics, historical-fiction, 12-classics-for-2011
Read from January 10 to 14, 2011

I had no idea there was humor. Love the scene between the Black Prince and the Clerk of Copmanhurst. Also Athelstane's experience...and appetite.

It did take a while to get into the book....I complained to a friend that all I had experienced so far (the first 50 pages or so) was description, description, description. But action did "intrude" shortly after. :-)

p. 208 and following: Go Rebecca!! Go Wamba!!

If eliciting strong emotions is a criterion for a good book, then Ivanhoe is, indeed, a good book. The antisemitism and other racism and the sexism, however accurate to the time, really really bothered me.

Rebecca is the strongest and most admirable character, without question. A woman of much honor.

The story, though, is mesmerizing--when not altogether tedious. :-) 3.8 but not 4.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ivanhoe.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Evan (new) - added it

Evan I was probably overly swayed by Mark Twain's critical trashings of this book, so that I've avoided it despite possessing a beautiful old copy for many years. Your review may balance the scales a bit and lead me to it -- eventually.