Ithlilian's Reviews > Blue Moon

Blue Moon by Laurell K. Hamilton

Jan 11, 11

bookshelves: urban-fantasy
Read in June, 2009

I hate to say it but, this is my least favorite book in this series. The first 300 pages dragged so much. Richard is in jail on false charges so Anita comes to investigate and free him. Unfortunately, the master of the city there does not take kindly to super powerful vampire killer invading his lands. There are issues with the local were pack as well. After plenty of killing and countless annoying Anita and Richard squabbles, Anita finally sleeps with Richard. Only to find out that it makes their bond stronger. Now she is mad at Jean-Claude and Richard for not telling her. Then we get to the mystery (if you can call it that) of the book. Someone is blaming murders on trolls to try to find an artifact hidden in the land. Anita tortures one of the baddies and saves the day, the end!

What really bothers me here is the love triangle between Anita, Richard, and Jean-Claude. After sleeping with Richard, Anita is given permission to continue to sleep with Jean-Claude. Richard, understandably, says that he will continue to sleep with other people as well. Anita does not like that of course, and I just don't get it. She isn't happy with just having one, she isn't happy with both, and she isn't happy with neither. Guess what! She continues to be unhappy about it for the entire series! Richard can't accept his beast, can't accept humans that accept his beast, won't sleep with weres, and doesn't like that Anita is turning into a monster. Anita doesn't like to touch anyone even if it is just for comfort, even if it alienates her leopards. She doesn't like that Richard eats people, even though she tortures people and enjoys it, she doesn't like that Richard doesn't accept his beast, even though she can't get close to her packs. Jean-Claude seems to be using everyone for power, according to Anita, and she doesn't trust him, and doesn't believe that he loves her. This continues for a long time in this series. As annoying as that is, I still love all the secondary characters in this series: Asher, Damien, Edward, Nathaniel, etc. Anita does become more accepting of what she needs to do to survive, and becomes closer to her animals in the future. This book just stands out as different from the previous novels. The mystery is almost nonexistent and the drama is everywhere. Be warned.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blue Moon.