Sara Grochowski's Reviews > Storybound

Storybound by Marissa Burt

May 04, 12

Read from April 03 to 07, 2012

Fantastic storytelling, a creative premise, and smart dialogue collide in Marissa Burt's Storybound.

Una is a captivating main character that any young reader will identify with... and maybe even wish to switch places with. She's is a smart, sassy young girl that fits into the world of Story surprisingly well... though I have a feeling many bookish people would. I liked that Una quickly got over the "this isn't possible!" phase and moved into the "let's kick some butt" phase. Una - and the reader - leave reality entirely behind and welcome the fantastical world of Story with open arms!

Storybound is compared to Inkheart, which I adore, and they do have similarities, but, for me, they had very different pacing and atmosphere. Storybound is a very fast-paced story with slow scenes primarily nonexistent. For readers that dislike wading through unnecessary detail, Storybound is a great fit.

On the downside, I sometimes felt like parts of Storybound were confusing or didn't fit well. I think this was because of the pace... details were either being cut out or I was missing them as the story flew by. There was so much going on and so many new characters popping up that I sometimes struggled to understand why particular twists were necessary. By the end of the novel, I felt that there were many unresolved issues and the author was going to have a lot of explaining to do in subsequent novels. Hopefully young readers won't encounter the same confusion I did.

In Storybound, Una spends most of her time with characters from fairy tales and I'd really like to learn more about the characters-in-training from other types of books as well. While Storybound mentioned many characters, it'd be great be introduced to a few other characters... add more children to Una's motley crew as she goes up against the villainous leaders of Story.

Storybound was a fun read and I'm definitely curious to see what become of Una and the land of Story!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Storybound.

04/03/2012 page 71
04/06/2012 page 356
86.0% "Huh... didn't see that coming..."
show 3 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda How are you finding it?Xx

Sara Grochowski It's absolutely fantastic! I kind of reminds me of Funke's INKHEART, but still unique. It has a clever plot and great characters!

message 3: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda I have herd so much positivity about 'Inkheart' and i am dying to read it, so if this is anything similar then i am adding it to my to-read list immediately! Thank you so much for telling me your thoughts on this book, Sara.
Lucinda Xx