Karla's Reviews > Lacey

Lacey by Lorinda Hagen

After hearing how trainwrecky and crazy Hagen's Bold Blades Flashing was, I went into this one with some expectations. Instead, I got a lame and boring book. Even the very unexpected, HEA-less ending couldn't save it.

Lacey Flagg and her brother Billy are orphans in Hazard, Kentucky. Her dad's store is going under, and the only way Lacey can save it is to sleep with the rich-by-comparison Alex Evans. Of course our virtuous maid will do nothing of the sort. So she and Billy pack up and go to their aunt in Florida, who is in financial straits of her own. She meets up with some smooth-talking soldier, they bump uglies in a buggy, she becomes a nurse or something and talks about suffrage and grrl power. But then tragedy strikes ((view spoiler)) and Lacey is left alone. When she finds herself in the family way, she latches onto a dead soldier's name and passes herself off as his wife, and finds herself being accepted by her "in-laws" with loving, open arms. Not everyone is charmed by the little faker, and Lacey finds herself being blackmailed by a crazy doctor and tormented by a sullen maid.

What really killed this book was the lack of structure. There was no obvious path. Lacey simply bumbles from one thing to another, and the weird deviations from the plot into musings on God, mental health, lady doctors, and hygiene made it read like some bizarre mishmosh. A totally boring mishmosh. Throw in a bit more God stuff, and it could probably be retooled as a Love Inspired.

I was thinking of giving it 2 stars for the ending, which was so untypical romance ((view spoiler)), but the lead-up to it was just as lame as everything that had come before, so upon consideration it doesn't deserve a jot of merciful slack.

And the maid saying "Hot diggety dog" (in 1898) was flat-out jarring.

It sucked. It was boring. The cover art blows. The ending wasn't nearly enough to redeem it and so overall it became a meandering mess.

Who'd like my copy?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lacey.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Ah, your final pre-Harley read, I take it?

Karla Yeah, except it's reading like a Harley! :P 17 yo girl and her 10 yo brother are orphans and she's going to Florida to live with their aunt. No promising so far. I should probably grab something else, though short non-Harleys are in short supply around here.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah That blurb does reek of Teh Cheese. Hmm.

You could always tear through one of those laundromat-snagged Regency snoozers.... >:)

But I can't help much with short books. The ones I do have are either pulpy gothics or contemp urban fantasy (which drag regardless of length if it's one of the multitude o' sucky ones -- sometimes I wonder why I keep trying).

Karla Oh, I'll keep plugging along with this one, just so I can get it out of the house. :P Rainy night in store, perfect for reading.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Cull the herd! Make room for better!

I wish Ohio would have a rainy night. It's been the same hellacious heat-n-humidity for a couple weeks now, so I'll snuggle up with my a/c yet again. Ugh.

Karla It's about 72 here, overcast and raining, and the humidity is about 300%. Not pleasant. Can't believe I was bitching about the relentless sun a few days ago. I take it all back.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah The weather is always greener on the other side. That's why I never complain about wintery goodness, even when it's sleeting & treacherous. Heheh.

I miss my treacherous sleety weather! *sob*

Karla I don't miss the sleet when I have to shovel out the bottom of the driveway after the town plow goes by. Nothing like shoveling a foot-high ridge of crap that's as heavy as sand. :P

But lots of fluffy snow...that I can handle. ^__^ Heck, I'll even take a blue sky and temps hovering around zero more than sleet. Or wretched clammy humidity in late July.

I'll bitch about the weather if I like, cuz if I don't, I'll be bitching about this book. Which is BOHR-RING, btw... The heroine just lost her cherry in a "democrat", which I've just discovered is another name for a buggy.

OK, so it's instructive. A bit.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I have no issue with freezing temps, myself; I've always preferred cold over heat. But I just had the dogs out & you could literally see the humidity in the air. At nine p.m.! That ain't right.

So, yeah. Feel free to bitch about hot weather. I will be sympathetic. *grin*

.......but, but, the blurb promises a thrilling & perilous journey! And the blurb wouldn't lie! You must be reading it wrong. ;p

message 10: by Karla (new) - rated it 1 star

Karla Maybe if I threw it across the room, it would inject some excitement into it.

I was hoping for something crazy along the lines of Bold Blades Flashing, but there's been nothing! And there's even been the questioning of faith thrown in. I feel like I'm reading a Valium-ed Love Inspired edition of The Perils of Pauline.

message 11: by Kerrie (new)

Kerrie This sounds awful but Bold Blades Flashing.... OMG. And that woman wrote under A TON of names!!! Wonder if they all suck.

message 12: by Karla (new) - rated it 1 star

Karla I suspect that she cranked shit out by the ream.

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) wrote: "I suspect that she cranked shit out by the ream."

Some authors are blessed with that sort of talent.