UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish's Reviews > Master of Surrender

Master of Surrender by Karin Tabke

I'm just going to warn you, right up front – this is not a light, fluffy romance. It’s brutal, gory, violent, sexist and just about every other miserable day-to-day thing you would expect from the Medieval era. And wow, I really enjoyed this story!

Master of Surrender is the first book in the Blood Sword series, and while it’s not terribly unique – few medieval romance novels are – it grabbed me right from the bloody prologue and kept me reading through the not quite as bloody end.

Sir Rohan du Luc, known far and wide as the Black Sword, is a great hero, and Lady Isabel of Alethorpe is a pain in the… fair maiden. Rohan brings with him a great supporting cast of secondary characters in his fellow bastard Knights, and I’m looking forward to reading their stories, too.
25 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Master of Surrender.

01/18/2011 "Look at me, Rach!! I'm finally reading this! :)" 51 comments
01/19/2011
43.0% "Well.... Rohan is sure testy!"
01/20/2011
60.0% "Lovin' it Rach!!"
01/21/2011
85.0% "I don't like Deirdre."
01/21/2011
100.0% "Whoa. That was exciting!"

Rach~The Highlander luverrr YAYYYYYYi so hope you love it

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I'll be moving this up me list (the me is on purpose). :)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish LOL! I'm really enjoying it!

Rach~The Highlander luverrr You finished... guess what i started book 2 .. AND its brilliant only the heroine is a warrior YEP thats right and she is a blood thirsy good one 2 ...

Rach~The Highlander luverrr NOw where is beth and cheryl they are reading it to going to find them....

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Nope, 70% Rach. I want to get book 2!!! I know I'll go straight to it.

Rach~The Highlander luverrr im loving it ........ love the heroine .. she is rock'n

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I'm glad to hear it! I might have to break out my amazon gift card!

message 9: by Bekah (new) - added it

Bekah this is on my to buy list for this month...still trying to decide on it!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Bekah wrote: "this is on my to buy list for this month...still trying to decide on it!"

It was good, just more brutal than anything I've read before. Not nauseatingly so, but... you know. LOL

message 11: by Bekah (new) - added it

Bekah wait brutal in what way? Violence?

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Yes. Wars, battles, torture, stuff like that.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Thanks for the review, D. I kind of like my medievals gritty, so think I will enjoy this one.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Thanks for the review, D. I kind of like my medievals gritty, so think I will enjoy this one."

You're welcome, Lady D. I think you will too.

Rhonda I was grabbed at the prologue too!!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Rhonda wrote: "I was grabbed at the prologue too!!"

I'm not sure why I haven't read anymore, except way too many challenges!

Rhonda LOL! I have about 5 books to read for review, and I couldn't get into a single one. ( I think it was Breaking Point) Anyway, I picked this up, and yea, I got into it. LOL!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Rhonda wrote: "LOL! I have about 5 books to read for review, and I couldn't get into a single one. ( I think it was Breaking Point) Anyway, I picked this up, and yea, I got into it. LOL!"

I was really surprised by the more explicit violence and gore that we don't normally find in HR. It didn't bother me, in fact, it made the story more real.

Rhonda UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Rhonda wrote: "LOL! I have about 5 books to read for review, and I couldn't get into a single one. ( I think it was Breaking Point) Anyway, I picked this up, and yea, I got into it. LOL!"

I was re..."

I'm finding that I like the darker, grittier HR books.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Rhonda wrote: "I'm finding that I like the darker, grittier HR books. "

Yep, me too. Not necessarily more emotional angst, just more reality.

message 21: by Holly (new) - added it

Holly I was thinking about starting this series soon, but my library only has book 2 & 3, not this one! ughh!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I'll see if I have a copy I can send you :)

message 23: by Holly (new) - added it

Holly Thanks Dhes, is it good?

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Holly wrote: "Thanks Dhes, is it good?"

Yeah, I really liked it, Holly. Grittier than most HR, and more violence and gore, too.

message 25: by Holly (new) - added it

Holly Awesome, I'm tough, I can handle some violence & gore! haha - It got good reviews, I am excited to add it to my 'Series to read list :)' - Thanks!!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish You're welcome!!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Oh, did you get my email explaining that I didn't have the paperback after all?

message 28: by Holly (new) - added it

Holly Yeah, I did, no worries, it works ;)

Sunny LOL, I love your opening line. Make no apologies and this is why I'm going to read this book!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Sunny wrote: "LOL, I love your opening line. Make no apologies and this is why I'm going to read this book!"

YAY!! Enjoy!!!!!!!!! LOL!!

Sunny UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... wrote: "Sunny wrote: "LOL, I love your opening line. Make no apologies and this is why I'm going to read this book!"

YAY!! Enjoy!!!!!!!!! LOL!!"

I'm going totally off my plan and starting it today.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Be sure and let us know what you think!!

Sunny Unfortunately, I could only give it two stars. You can see my review to see why: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Sunny wrote: "Unfortunately, I could only give it two stars. You can see my review to see why: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show..."

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that! I'll check your review. You probably shouldn't put much faith in my recommendations from here on out.

Sunny UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... wrote: "Sunny wrote: "Unfortunately, I could only give it two stars. You can see my review to see why: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show..."

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear tha..."

P-shaw! I wouldn't have made the connection except that I read all of KEA's books a million times as a kid. I memorized lines. Yes, I was a romance geek. :)

message 37: by ◊♦ Naomi (new)

◊♦ Naomi Ohhh this sounds interesting!!!! :D