Alex's Reviews > The Search for WondLa

The Search for WondLa by Tony DiTerlizzi

F 50x66
Jan 11, 11

Read in January, 2011

This book was recommended to me by a friend, and even though it is technically a "children's book", I decided to give it a try, mostly because of the illustrations. I know you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but this cover is hard to ignore. I am always more likely to read a book with illustrations by the author, because to me that says that the author really put a lot of thought and imagination into the story. The story itself is fantastic, something that would definitely have enchanted my twelve-year-old self, and I found myself drawn in by the fantastical creatures and places that DiTerlizzi describes. At first, the book seems like another cliched, end-of-the-world cautionary tale about respecting the earth, et cetera, et cetera. But after Book I, the story really takes off, moving just a little bit too quickly (Keep in mind however, that this story is for young adults and is meant to keep their attention with its nonstop action). By the end of the story I was very impressed by DiTerlizzi's ability to create an expansive, imaginary world that is believable and will not confuse younger readers too much. He does not give away all of the secrets, leaving some out in the open to be answered later or for the reader to puzzle out themselves, but the riddles he does solve are clever and surprisingly unpredictable. The illustrations are also fantastic, but often I found myself having to refer back to them in order to understand what the characters and places looked like because his descriptions left something to be desired. It almost makes me wonder why he didn't do the whole thing as a graphic novel instead of a book. All in all, I think this is one of those rare books that parents can read along with their kids and both will get something important out of it, and I give it four stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Search for WondLa.