Stephanie's Reviews > Anno Dracula

Anno Dracula by Kim Newman

1919377
Jan 11, 11

Read in January, 2011 — I own a copy

While this was not my first excursion into vampire books, it was one of my first into steam-punk. My husband gave me this book, along with a few others, to spark my interest in steampunk, I think, because he hopes we can go to a steampunk-themed sci fi convention later this year.

I was just grateful that I had some new books to -- heh -- sink my teeth into.

He was also sweet enough to make sure this book was a signed copy -- as avid book collectors with no money, it's exciting to get very cool things like signed copies, which make us feel it's even more worthwhile to continue putting money into our library.

I couldn't fight the compulsions I had to update him on how things were going in the book while I read it -- where I stood, so to speak, in the historical context of the book. And I have to say, that historical context probably made the book more attractive than if it were in a more alternate timeline or some unknown kingdom and era. I'm all for brand-new-worlds, but sometimes it's just interesting to see how things might have been, if only things were a little bit different.

There were a couple times I thought the introduction of a character -- from other similar-era writings -- were just a little too... cliché. I came to expect them, and I came to thinking of characters I'd seen elsewhere just to find out if they might show up here. It was fun, but it was a tangent, and I didn't think all of literature's Victorian characters needed to show their faces.

Some of them, though, I just couldn't have done without... though for what were probably entirely personal reasons.

Still, the original characters were, for the most part, the best-developed and most enjoyable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anno Dracula.