Anne's Reviews > Riding Lessons

Riding Lessons by Sara Gruen

Jan 11, 11

Read from January 07 to 10, 2011 — I own a copy

This is an enjoyable book and Gruen's strong characterisation skills are present here also, but I didn't find it half as enjoyable to read as "Water for Elephants". I used to read horse books voraciously as a teenager and this book was a trip down memory lane for me in many ways - although my teenage, horse-mad heroines never had sex in the lounge of the riding school! :-)

Annemarie, the main character, returns to her family's horse farm after twenty years of near silence and absence. This book charts the past she ran away from and how her failure to deal with it then causes it to linger and pollute her present. She is not the most likable of characters, making foolish or selfish decisions at every turn and I had to pause every so often and ask myself if I wanted to keep reading. What compelled me to persevere was that very human desire to see if everything turned out well in the end. I won't give that away here now, but prepare to be challenged, not only by Annemarie herself, but what you might find in her that hits a little too close to home.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Riding Lessons.