Penelope's Reviews > Lucille

Lucille by Ludovic Debeurme

Sep 25, 2011

bookshelves: fall-11, graphic-novels
Read on September 25, 2011

This is one of those stories with a plot that seems completely natural, even serendipitous. Fateful encounters, poetic irony, it's all here, and it all works. Nothing seems forced, which is not an easy task in a story that involves such heavy topics as suicide, anorexia, and teenage runaways. Such a story could easily seem contrived, but "Lucille" succeeds in being a touching, beautiful love story. Both Lucille and Vladimir are fragile, flawed, and, unbeknownst to themselves, incredibly tough. Their flaws and foibles made them all the more lovable and interesting to follow as they attempt to navigate the chaos of life.

Although it's a thick book, "Lucille" is a deceptively quick read. I ended up reading it all at once because I couldn't put it down. I just had to know how it all ended. Unfortunately we're left with a bit of a cliffhanger (although fortunately the really important questions are answered before the end). I didn't realize that "Lucille" is only Part One of what I can only assume will be a series. I look forward to reading more about Lucille and Vladimir's adventures. The two certainly evolve throughout this volume's many pages, but it's clear they both still have quite a bit of growing left to do.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lucille.