colleen the contrarian ± (... never stop fighting) ±'s Reviews > Magic Study

Jan 17, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult, romantic
Read from January 15 to 16, 2011 — I own a copy

3.5-ish

This book was very readable, so much so that I read most of it in one day, and stayed up past my bedtime to finish it. And there are parts of it I really liked - like seeing some of my favorite characters from the first book show up, and watching some badassery go down.

And I really liked the bits with her and the horses - both Topaz and Kiki. Kiki, especially, made me smile, and I liked the Sandseeds and the Story Weaver guy a lot.

But...

A lot of the new characters were annoying me. Leif, of course, and Roze, who'se just a total bitch right off the bat for no real reason. Even Perl annoyed me with her unrealistic expectations.

But the thing that annoyed me the most, I think, was just the repetitive nature of the story. As Dawn said: "Problem crops up, Yelana defies authority, she's probably caught and tortured, magic saves her, rinse and repeat."

(view spoiler)

Anyway, there were a lot of things that irritated me about this book, but none of them were enough to make me want to put the book down, and there were also things that I enjoyed about it.

I do hope, though, that the concluding book is a little less repetitive in plot elements, and that some of the secondary characters are a) more consistent and b) more prevalent.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic Study.

01/16/2011 page 50

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Libby Kiki was my favorite character - Snyder's interpretation of how horses see people was very funny