Beth's Reviews > The Summerhouse

4792093
Jan 11, 2011

did not like it
Read in December, 2010

This was a pick of one of my bookclub members. I have a hard time saying anything nice about the book. I was rolling my eyes and groaning at the way the author depicts the three women in the story. Usually I like a supernatural element to a book, but this seemed so cheesy to me.

On a positive note...the book explores the idea: If you could go back in time and make a different choice, would you keep the life you lived or choose the new life after the making a different choice?

I do not regret my past, even if sometimes it sucked. My past is what makes me who I am and I wouldn't want to re-live my life, I appreciate my journey and love where I am today. Every day we get the chance to make a different choice than the day before...no one needs a damned time machine to change their future.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Summerhouse.

message 1: by Ellora (last edited Feb 13, 2011 10:46AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Ellora Agreed.

The girls come across as superficial characters to me. All of them beautiful, talented, kind, generous, sweet.. and all their problems to do with men.

To me, the only real reason to travel back to the past would be to stop an accidental death. As in, if I were Madison, I would maybe go back to the day when her husband accidentally kicked her, she fell down the stairs, went into premature labor, lost her baby and had to have a hysterectomy. Or go back in time to somehow stop Thomas from getting on that doomed flight.

Shallow characters and shallow plot. I didn't even want to read the whole thing.