Jeanne's Reviews > From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg

Oct 06, 14

bookshelves: childhood-faves, juvenile, new-york, newbery-medal
Read from January 15 to 16, 2011

Claudia Kincaid is tired of being unappreciated at home. She is tired of her chores, and she is tired of her responsibilities, especially when it comes to her younger brothers.

So, Claudia decides to run away, and boy, does she have a plan! She has chosen a companion (little brother Jamie), decided upon a destination (New York), and saved her money (by skipping those weekly hot fudge sundaes). In fact, she has planned every single detail of her getaway.

On the appointed day, Claudia and Jamie hop on a train bound for NYC and take up residence at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Awesome! They don’t just live there; they also strive to learn there. Their learning experience leads to a beautiful statue and its mysterious provenance. Soon, we have an adventure within an adventure.

I enjoyed this novel as a child, and the story certainly stands the test of time. Wonderful!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maggie (new)

Maggie I LOVED this book when I was a kid! Glad to see its goodness still holds true. :)

Jeanne It does! I read it several times in my youth and thought I'd read it again before we go to NYC. Really looking forward to the museum now!