Doug's Reviews > The Emotionally Healthy Church: A Strategy for Discipleship That Actually Changes Lives

The Emotionally Healthy Church by Peter Scazzero

M_50x66
Dec 06, 11

bookshelves: christian, leadership-development, spiritual-development
Read from January 11 to December 06, 2011

This is a great book about the link between spiritual maturity and emotional maturity. I agree with the statement that the two maturities are not mutually exclusive, but you can't grow spiritually without also addressing emotional maturity.

Some of my favorite Quotes are :
P7 “the overall health of any church or ministry depends primarily on the emotional and spiritual health of its leadership.”

P20 “the key to successful spiritual leadership has much more to do with the leader’s internal life than with the leader’s expertise, gifts or experience.”

Inventory of Spiritual/emotional maturity p60

P83 “All men’s miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone.” This involves taking my feelings and thoughts about why I am feeling this way and bringing them honestly to God. I ask, “what does this represent? What might you, God , be saying to me? What do I learn about myself in this? About life? About other people?

P96 “The implications for church life is clear. It is impossible to help people break free form their past apart form understanding families in which they grew up. Unless we grasp the power of the past on who we are in the present, we will inevitably replicate those patterns in relationship inside and outside the church.”

P103 “Words of a Hassidic Rabbi: ‘ When I was young, I set out to change the world. When I grew older, I perceived that this was too ambitious so I set out to change my state. This too I realized as I grew older was too ambitious, so I set out to change my town. When I realized I could not even do this, I tried to change my family. Now as an old man, I know that I should have started by changing myself. If I had started with myself, maybe then I would have succeeded in changing my family, the town , or even the state – and who knows, maybe even the world.

P167 In fact, when have you ever been taught the importance fo grieving and loss and how to integrate it into worship to God? When is the last time you preached or heard a message on grieving or lamenting?

P206 “When our life with God is not sufficient to sustain our work for God, we too will find ourselves struggling with our integrity. My training taught me to reach people for Christ, To grow the church, to engage in global missions, to use my gifts to the fullest. I also learned about quiet time and days alone with God. The emphasis, however, was outward and up toward external growth, not inward and down into my own soul.”

“Love god, by Bernard of Clairvaux”
p208 “the highest degree of love, for Bernard, was simply that we love ourselves as God loves – in the same degree, in the same manner with the very same love”

P208 “Sabbath keeping is about accepting God’s invitation to stop, rest, delight, and contemplate him for a 24 hour period each week.”

P210 “We forget the biblical principle: as goes the leaders marriage, so goes the church.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Emotionally Healthy Church.