Jasmyn's Reviews > The Subtle Knife

The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman

Jan 11, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, fantasy, young-adult, series, his-dark-materials
Read in January, 2011

The second book in His Dark Materials Trilogy was not nearly as well written as the first. Lyra has crossed over into another world where she meets Will, from yet another world. At first the jumping around was a little confusing, but I think that helped me understand how Lyra felt. Being in a place that is so similar to home, yet at the same time completely different.

Lyra is the same loveable brat that she is in the first book. We see how she has developed as a character a little bit. She has learned that her actions have consequences, and they are not always what she expects them to be. We also meet her new friend, Will. This book is more a tale about Will's quest than Lyra's. The world they meet in is haunted by strange creatures that seem to feed off people and they uncover an artifact with strange powers that no one really understands.

This book seems to be more of a transition book. Things needed to happen in order to continue the story, but I just didn't find this part to be nearly as interesting as book 1 or 3.

3/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Subtle Knife.