Johnny Virgil's Reviews > Rooms

Rooms by James L. Rubart

Dec 16, 2015

it was ok
Read in January, 2011

Holy crap! No, that's not a two word review, but it could be. This book was not at all what I was expecting. As a "non-religious" person, I found this book to be a little too over the top with the holy-roller stuff. If you're a confirmed believer in all things God/Savior/Sin, you will probably love it. If you are turned off by televangelists or Jehovah's Witnesses, you will probably hate it. I had the distinct feeling that if the author met me, he would tell me I was going to burn in hell.

The Christian angle notwithstanding, I didn't find the characters to be particularly believable. A good novel tends to ease into the supernatural aspects of the story. I thought the book jumped into it quickly, before I really had time to get the whole "suspension of disbelief" thing going. I also didn't think there was much in the way of meaningful suspense, and what little suspense there was seemed to be resolved in a pretty heavy-handed, expedient manner. Not being all that familiar with christian-based fiction, maybe that's just the way these sorts of novels are. Certainly not a complete waste of time, but I did find myself rolling my eyes on occasion because of some of the inane actions of and conclusions drawn by the characters. I guess I couldn't relate.
15 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rooms.

05/27 marked as: read

Melissa Can I just ditto your review?

Kelli This review says it all! Nice job!

message 3: by Kirah (new) - added it

Kirah Just sayin not all Christians are like that...

Johnny Virgil Like what? I was just talking about this book, not Christians. I know many fine Christians. :)

message 5: by Kirah (new) - added it

Kirah Okay, I haven't read the book yet. You said something about how the author made you feel like you were going to burn in hell. I was just saying that really most Christians aren't like Jehovah's Witnesses and all that. I mean I just don't want you too feel like all Christians either hate you because you aren't one or they want you to just revert automatically to Christianity. It was a very well written review, I just wanted you to know a lot of Christians are pretty nice, if you already didn't know.

Johnny Virgil Nope, just the book. I found it very preachy. It seemed almost as if the author's personal beliefs shone transparently through the characters and took you out of the story.

message 7: by Kirah (new) - added it

Kirah Well I will have to read it sometime, it does sound pretty interesting. I hope it isn't a boring book because of how the author writes... lol

Candace Gronek it is categorized in Christian fiction

Don Incognito Holy roller? Jehovah's Witnesses? I don't know what a "holy roller" is except some kind of stereotype of Christian piety, and Jehovah's Witnesses are a different religious group that this book has nothing to do with. I don't understand what scares you about this book. It's about a broken guy who has run away from God due to a childhood trauma and then walks into a supernatural house that God uses to communicate with him. Why are you referencing horror/suspense novels? It's not supposed to have either of those elements.

message 10: by Kirah (new) - added it

Kirah It's just a book and people are entitled to their opions on it.

message 11: by Johnny (last edited May 28, 2016 03:34AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Johnny Virgil It didn't scare me, it just wasn't very good. It was too much, like a JW on your doorstep at 7am on a Saturday morning is too much. As for the term "holy roller" you are correct, that's exactly what I meant. I felt that the entire book was a stereotype of Christian piety. As for my comment about horror/supernatural-type books -- My point was that I felt like I was being asked to suspend my disbelief too soon. I used horror/supernatural novels as an example of two types of story that require that suspension. I didn't mean to imply that this is a horror novel. It's clearly not.

Johnny Virgil Candace, it may be categorized that way here, but it was not where I purchased it.

Danielle Langlois I felt the same way about this book. I found it confusing and just too much. I am non-religious and it was just way beyond my comfort level. An intriguing concept for sure. I will admit that read the entire thing at a quicken pace because I was very interested to see where it would go. However I was disappointed because of how clearly the author was geared towards one specific auidence.

message 14: by Kelly (new) - rated it 1 star

Kelly I'm reading this now, and I am a believer and I'm not impressed with this book.

message 15: by Joan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joan Troyer I loved this book. If you have had release from junk in the past because of your study of the Word (not religion or religious attitude), this hood says it all love this author.

message 16: by Joan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joan Troyer I can't edit last post: "This book says it all. Love this author."

message 17: by Glenda (new)

Glenda You people are funny! Don't start throwing names around if you don't know what you are talking about. Jehovah's Witnesses don't even believe in a burning hell. Hell or hades, in the Bible, actually refers to the grave or a burial place.

message 18: by Glenda (new)

Glenda AND JWs are Christians too.

message 19: by Johnny (last edited Aug 12, 2015 07:19PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Johnny Virgil You're funny, too. Did you even read the comments? My review had nothing to say about JWs, other than that I find them annoying when they wake me up. I should have said "If you are turned off by in-your-face-religious practices of any kind" -- maybe it would have headed this off at the pass. I used JWs as a passing EXAMPLE, people. I have a good friend who was raised JW, so I actually know quite a bit about it. It's not pretty if you decide to leave, I can tell you that.

message 20: by Kelly (new) - rated it 1 star

Kelly I'm a confirmed believer, and I hated this book.