kelley's Reviews > A Dog Named Slugger

Jan 17, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: 2011, kindle
Read from January 11 to 16, 2011

I downloaded A Dog Named Slugger when it was offered free on the kindle. I confess that the cover was what captivated me. I do enjoy dogs and have read many wonderful stories about dogs. The expression on the dogs face drew me in. I also wanted to read the book because I have watched my mother age and thought if she had a companion dog it would be nice. I have often wondered if there was any organization that trained working dogs for people with other disabilities besides blindness, which I found out in this book there are. This book is a memoir, the author Leigh Brill writes the story of how she discovered the group "Caring Canines" and soon the dog named Slugger became more than a companion, he became her life support. Leigh discovers a brand new world of independence because she could rely on her intelligent canine partner. The book was interesting and discussed the process of getting a working dog, the training process and how the whole relationship comes to be. Leigh formed a deep emotional attachment to her dog as I'm sure anyone with a dog that is with them on such an intimate level would. I was impressed with the dogs abilities and the way Leigh's life changed because of the confidence she gained from her new found independence. I think when I am old I would love to have a dog that could help me with tasks that become difficult for a person of age. The book was enlightening and for the most part I enjoyed it. I did feel that the author tried a little to hard in the writing of the book using language and an abundance of adjectives that I felt were probably not her natural speech. It was a good story and anyone interested in knowing more about working dogs would enjoy the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Dog Named Slugger.