Editrix (Amy Lewis)'s Reviews > The Six Wives of Henry VIII

The Six Wives of Henry VIII by Alison Weir

Feb 08, 11

Read from January 15 to February 08, 2011

So much more well-written and engaging than Derek Wilson's history In the Lion's Court: Power, Ambition, and Sudden Death in the Reign of Henry VIII (which felt it necessary to remind the reader of Thomas More's wittiness dozens of times in the first couple of chapters, and which I finally abandoned). Weir for the most part avoids speculation when she lacks sources to support her story; her descriptions of these women, Henry VIII, and the religious and political climate are compelling and sometimes surprising. I found the ending a bit abrupt, however, with the (spoiler alert!) deaths of Henry's two surviving wives and no Afterword or summary as to the larger historical context and significance of the women she describes. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, mind you, but it caught me by surprise.

I think my Tudor itch has been sufficiently scratched, at least for the nonce, and I'm looking forward to reading something that doesn't weigh several pounds.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Six Wives of Henry VIII.