Guy Gonzalez's Reviews > Irregular Creatures

Irregular Creatures by Chuck Wendig

Feb 12, 11

bookshelves: my-ebooks, self-published
Recommended for: Fans of creepy, real-world fantasy and horror.
Read from February 11 to 12, 2011 — I own a copy

As a fan of Chuck Wendig's blogging and commentary, I snatched this short story collection up right away just to support him, but I had a feeling I'd enjoy it because he has such a distinctive voice, and I was right. That voice comes through clearly in every one of these short stories, many reminiscent of the excellent old Twilight Zone Magazine, with "Dog-Man and Cat-Bird (A Flying Cat Story)" and "The Auction" standing out as my favorites. Both stories, along with the intriguing but flawed "Do-Overs and Take-Backs," have a Kingly tone to them that recalls his unsettling take on fatherhood in Pet Sematary, one of my all-time favorites.

Irregular Creatures is recommended, and I'm now looking forward to Wendig's debut novel, Double Dead, even more!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Irregular Creatures.

02/11/2011 page 35
25.36% "I'm a fan of Wendig's blogging and commentary, but this is the first time I'm reading his fiction, and it's interesting how clear and recognizable his voice is in the first story, "Dog-Man and Cat-Bird (A Flying Cat Story)." #like"
02/12/2011 page 82
59.42% "For "Dog-Man and Cat-Bird (A Flying Cat Story)" and "The Auction" alone, this collection is a winner!"