Robin Wiley's Reviews > The Well of Ascension

The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson

Jan 26, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, love-it-more-than-puppies
Read from January 11 to 25, 2011

This book was a mixed bag for me.

Beginning third was great. Big bad is dead. Our boy, Elend Venture, is king. He has democratic ideas for the people, equality for the enslaved, Skaa, etc. In the last book, Vin got the “My Fair Lady” treatment. In this book, Elend gets the makeover. He goes from scruffy and bookish to great leader, politician and commander. Our gal, Vin, is now the most powerful Mistborn in the land, and is struggling with her power and her conscience. There are quite a few good fight scenes. We get to see the fortress of the Steel Inquisitors which was very cool (Fan artists – put this on your list and give me an illustration, pretty please!) There are some new creatures that are pretty freaky.

Final third was really great. Huge build to the finish. All out mega-battle for the city of Luthadel. Vin pulls out some serious Yoda-Episode-Two tricks that will impress. The mystery gets solved. The bad guys get theirs. Some nice surprises and new mysteries introduced for Book Three.

But the middle was a bit tough. The city is under siege, so it is understandable. As it drags on, you wait along with the characters. Drinking water is going bad, people are running out of food and fuel as winter comes to its height. Nerves are getting frayed. It all makes sense for Sanderson to give us the full experience. He did a great job, because I got depressed and frustrated. I’m not saying the book is bad. I’m just saying it was tough.

The chapter headings are excerpts from another journal. Whose journal is for me to know and you to find out, but once again, Sanderson put some little clues in there for you mystery lovers.

Characters – plenty to love, and hate
Action – Great fight scenes, mega battle at the end
Creatures – Koloss, Mistwraiths, Kandra – really different. Not your average troll or goblin AT ALL.
Magic – not magic (more manipulation of physical law), but plenty of it, and very cool
Cool places – Citadel of the Steel Inquisitors, plus it is a world with a red sun where ash falls like snow
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Well of Ascension.