Jen's Reviews > Dracula

Dracula by Bram Stoker

Jan 31, 11

bookshelves: 2011, vampire, fiction
Read in January, 2011

I'm about 1/4 of the way through the book and it is finally starting to pick up. The beginning of the book was slow reading but still good. I'm glad to finally met some of the other characters.

I think the use of letters gives you a better feel for the characters. I also liked the use of Diaries just because it feels much more personal.

Dracula is not like the vampires now a days. He is the definition of evil. It really amazes me how much people have changed vampires over the years. I mean they seem to have a soul in recent stories and in Dracula it is obvious that he does not have one.

The story starts out following Jonathan Harker and his trip to stay with Dracula. You see him as he starts to think he is losing his mind. He starts to see things going on that a sane person would never believe is real. He gives up a lot in his fight to get rid of Dracula. The only thing he seems to want is to keep his wife safe.

Mina Harker is a sweet but yet strong women. She marries Jonathan Harker and is the person who organizes all the data that is collected about Dracula. Mina is really the heroine of this story. She never seems to realize what she is giving up in the fight. He only thinks about how to make it easier on everyone else. She seems to carry a lot of guilt about Lucy with her. She thinks that if she wouldn't have gone to see her then she never would have met Dracula. She carries a lot on her shoulders and doesn't want to share the weight with anyone unless she has to.

Lucy Westenran is Mina's best friend. She is a sweet young women who somehow falls under Dracula's spell, she just doesn't seem to realize it. She just thinks she is sleep walking and having really odd dreams. She knows she is sick she just doesn't know why she is sick. She ends up with three guys who are in love with her all of which end up giving her blood when she needs it.

John Seward one of the guys who is in love with Lucy and gives her blood. He works as a Dr. in the insane asylum. Out of the three guys who love Lucy he might be my favorite. You can really see how much he loves her. You see how much it bothers him that she is going through this and it kills him that he does not know what is wrong with her at first. Once he finds out what is wrong with her it tears him about because no one as pure as Lucy should have that happen to her.

Dr. Van Helsing is one of my favorite characters in the book. He is the brains behind hunting Dracula. He comes into the story when Lucy gets sick and quickly becomes the best part of the book for me. He is smart and seems to know everything there is to know about hunting vampires. He has some really funny moments and really sweet moments with Lucy and Mina (everyone else but those two are the ones that really stick out)

Quincy Morris the second guy who fell in love with Lucy. He is a Texan. He seems to be the strategic guy. When it comes to fighting Dracula he is the one who tells everyone where to hid and what to do. He is a trusting man and natural leader. He is quiet and only really talks when it makes a difference

Arthur Holmwood Lucy's fiance. He does not know that his friends gave Lucy blood and they won't tell him because they feel it will make him feel less important to her. I don't really like him as much as everyone else. He has his father who is sick at the same time Lucy is and it just seems to take away from his feeling for her. He leaves Van Helsing and John Steward in charge of planning Lucy's funeral and all t he arrangements.

Renfield is a patient in the insane asylum who you have to feel sorry for. He asks to be let out and in the end you have to be mad at John Steward for not letting him leave. He couldn't know what would happen and he does think he is making the right decision, but in the end he was wrong.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dracula.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 2: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen I really can't believe I have never read it. I have owned it for years and still have yet to pick it up....I actually own 3 copies of it. I have the paperback copy and 2 copies on my KOBO...sad isn't it.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I tried to read it in high school and couldn't get through it. I tried again last year and I loved it! I am exploring a lot of classic horror now, and the great thing is that many of it is free online!

message 4: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen What else do you recommend?

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I run a Classic Horror group on here, and we talk about various authors. Not trying to pressure you to join, but it's a good place to hang out if you like the old stuff.

Ghost Stories of an Antiquary by MR James is a good place to start. He's one of my favorite classic authors. His ghost stories are very scary. This is actually free on Kindle, probably elsewhere.

message 6: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen I just downloaded it to my KOBO....I will have to check it out soon! I'm going to look into the group

message 8: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen I just moved Dracula up on my list.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Cool. I think I downloaded The Five Jars. I'll check on A Thin Ghost.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I didn't have A Thin Ghost, but I have it now. Thanks for the heads up, Jen!

message 11: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen I'm looking forward to reading some of his stuff

message 12: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen You are welcome for the accidental heads up..lol

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I'm glad you found some good books to read, Jen.

How are you liking Dracula?

message 14: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen I'm loving it. I'm reading it slow, because I won't read it right before bed so It's taking me a little while. I'm at the part where he is trying to sneak out of the castle and get's stuck in the stairwell.

message 15: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen finally something from Mina. I've been dying to read something from her

message 16: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Lady Danielle, I finished it over the weekend and I have to say it was amazing!!!!!!