Josh Hamacher's Reviews > Nina Kimberly the Merciless

Nina Kimberly the Merciless by Christiana Ellis

Jan 20, 11

bookshelves: currently-reading, may-never-finish

I can not fathom all of the five-star reviews here and on Amazon. I managed to slog through about the first third of this book. I haven't yet given up and may come back and try to finish it but after that third I just had to take a break and read something else.

What don't I like? The plot, the characterization, pretty much everything except the actual writing. The writing is fine; simplistic, like it was written by a talented junior-high student, but perfectly readable in the "it effectively tells a story without getting in the way" sense.

But the plot and the characterization? Shallow stereotypes as far as the eye can see and an extremely annoying "protagonist" who is a cross between Conan and Paris Hilton. Throw in "the friendly dragon", "the comic relief", "the hero/love interest", all in a stereotypical "medieval" fantasy world. Ugh. Not a page went by where I didn't roll my eyes. And unlike most readers I didn't even find it funny - I think I laughed twice in the first third of the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nina Kimberly the Merciless.