Megan Franks's Reviews > The Maze Runner

Apr 26, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, sci-fi, lit-for-boys
Recommended to Megan by: Hunger Games fans, teen boys
Read from April 16 to 26, 2011

I really didn't know what to expect when I picked up this young adult sci-fi book; I just knew that I wanted to read it. I'm glad I did!

The story follows Thomas, a teen who wakes up in an elevator that travels to a strange, isolated place called "The Glade" which is surrounded the huge walls of "The Maze." For two years, the boys of The Glade have been trying to find a way to escape from the Maze and return home to the land that none of them remember. (Strangely enough, they remember things like learning to ride a bike, but they don't remember the people/places surrounding those events.)

Of course, since it's science fiction, there HAS to be creepy, scary things called "Grievers" which lurk in the Maze determined to mutilate anything in their paths. If you are lucky enough to survive a Griever attack, you will go through the horrors of "The Changing" and be given glimpses of your life before the Maze...which might actually be worse.

Thomas and Teresa (the only girl in the story) seem to be sent to the Glade for a specific purpose. The story centers around what that purpose might be and how they will attain it.

At first, I was frustrated because there were too many questions and not enough answers, but I became hooked. It was hard to put this book down, and plenty of action to keep the story moving at a fast pace.

I highly recommend this book to teen boys and fans of The Hunger Games series. The Maze Runner is actually the first book of a trilogy. I definitely plan to read the rest.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Maze Runner.