Ellie's Reviews > When Will There Be Good News?

When Will There Be Good News? by Kate Atkinson

Jan 11, 11

bookshelves: fun, gothic, mystery

I automatically like any Kate Atkinson book, even if I haven't read it yet (probably even if I don't like it) although I found her second Brodie book much less interesting than her first. However, I thought she was back in full swing in this book. I like the character of Brodie and his struggle as a father (and a person) and for some odd reason I like fiction about traumatized children. This was especially good because the first traumatized child (in a vivid opening scene that has remained haunting me) manages to put together a good life before the past comes roaring back and the second child refuses - in an almost Pippi-Longstocking way- to act traumatized!

The end was also satisfying and believable enough. I strongly recommend this book to mystery fans, traumatized children fans, fans of good writing, and Brodie lovers. But read the first in the series before this one- it works as a stand-alone but resonates more with the first book behind it (the second is optional-a person might want to wait and see how committed they are to the series first!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When Will There Be Good News?.