Amber's Reviews > Cosmopolis

Cosmopolis by Don DeLillo

Jan 10, 2011

it was ok
Read in January, 2011

Yes, I read this book because Robert Pattinson has been cast to play the lead role in the screen adaptation. Having said that, I'm still glad I read it. I think a great deal of my issues with this as a book will be fixed in the movie. I occasionally had trouble realizing when the setting had changed, such as when Eric returned to the car. I would also have to go back and reread long strings of dialogue in order to track who was speaking each line. Both of those issues will be easy to correct in the film because you'll be able to see those things on-screen.

This is definitely a dark story and some of the financial discussions were a bit over my head, but it was still very interesting. Eric's relationship with his wife is certainly an interesting dynamic and not at all what you would expect from a marriage. Eric is certainly not great husband material. The time inside Eric's head is sometimes fascinating and sometimes nearly infuriating because of his apparent apathy.

There are some shockers that you just do not see coming. On the flip side, a very major plot point begins to piece itself together early on, making the ending of the story inevitable.

I'm eager to see how this book plays out on screen. It's certainly full of intrigue, money and sex.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cosmopolis.

Suzette I completely agree about the difficulties trying to figure out what is going on and who is speaking. Took away from the enjoyment of reading it in my opinion. And, like you, I only picked it up because Robert Pattinson is cast to play the lead :)