Ashley Hill's Reviews > The Oracle of Stamboul

The Oracle of Stamboul by Michael David Lukas

Jan 10, 11

Read in November, 2010

The book is well-written and just interesting enough that I finished it. The premise is interesting, and I actually had a lot of hope for it in the opening. But as I read on, I just found it kind of lacking. Really, I'd say it's an interesting book wherein nothing really happens.

I didn't find the main character very believable as an eight-year-old girl, even as an exceptionally gifted one, and none of the other characters really held any interest for me. I would find myself wondering about their motivations, or their inner workings, but never really felt satisfied that I knew them. In some ways, this is a great thing -- when your main point of view is a child, can you really expect to understand the world of the adults around her?

It may just be that literary fiction isn't for me, or that there was something going on under the surface of the story that I missed; I don't claim to be the best of readers. But I can say that whenever presented with the opportunity to put this down and read something else, I did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Oracle of Stamboul.