Milo's Reviews > The Earthsea Trilogy: A Wizard of Earthsea; The Tombs of Atuan; The Farthest Shore

The Earthsea Trilogy by Ursula K. Le Guin

May 27, 11

bookshelves: golden, satirez, wands-out
Read in June, 2010 — I own a copy

Ursula K. Le Guin's Earthsea Trilogy is one of my favorites. Her style is so unique and the underlying themes in her books are powerful. She has this way of saying a lot without saying much...if that makes any sense.

If you love wizardry this is the book for you. Ged is the name of the Archmage in this series and unlike Gandalf, who is presented as incorruptible, Ged must battle his own demons to gain redemption. The story is from Ged's point of view so he seems more human than the classical representation of the wizard seen from afar as a powerful figure cloaked in mystery. The second book changes the point of view from Ged to Tenar "The Eaten One". The story goes on to describe a tale of suffering, mercy, and the love that can be felt for strangers even in the the darkest of places. This trilogy is so full of imagery and meaning that I would recommend it to anyone that loves a truly fine fantasy. I would also recommend you read the accompanying Tales from Earthsea and the final book in the series The Other Wind.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Earthsea Trilogy.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new)

Jim One of my favorite all time. I re-read them frequently.

Milo Ursula K. sure is something special. She just has that way about her...I can't describe it.

message 3: by Christopher (new)

Christopher James I don't love wizardry - but I still loved these books! For me they're probably the best example of what Genre fiction can do in the hands of an absolute master.

message 4: by Brad (new)

Brad It blows my mind how many don't see that something special. It makes me sad too.