Milo's Reviews > Crime and Punishment

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Jan 10, 2011

bookshelves: 10-stars, horror, philosophy, cometothedarksidewehavecookies, thats-deep-man
Read from January 10 to 21, 2011 — I own a copy

This has got to be one of the darkest books I have every read. It's scary and disturbing but don't let that dissuade you from reading it. Dostoyevsky is one of those authors who flawlessly captures the characters thoughts and mental state on paper. Dostoyevsky easily ranks among the titan's of Russian literature for the simple way the suspense is allowed to build up and how Raskolnikov changes throughout the story. Raskolnikov's moral state is akin to ethical nihilism; the effect of his over-reasoning the situation. Moral's hold no ground when put up against soulless reason and so he commits crimes he knows are wrong but cannot understand why. This is not a light read but I would recommend it to anyone over fifteen years of age who is mature enough to handle some pretty graphic content.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crime and Punishment.

Quotes Milo Liked

Fyodor Dostoyevsky
“To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's.”
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment

Fyodor Dostoyevsky
“Pain and suffering are always inevitable for a large intelligence and a deep heart. The really great men must, I think, have great sadness on earth.”
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment