Shannon's Reviews > Strawberry Fields

Strawberry Fields by Marina Lewycka

Jan 12, 11

Read in January, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I am not going to lie. This book caught my eye simply because of the title. Well, that sounded stupid, isn't that how a lot of books catch people's eyes? OK, well this title caught my eye because I am a huge Beatles fan. Now, this book has absolutely nothing to do with the Beatles, but on first review it still looked interesting.

The short version: told from many different perspectives, Strawberry Fields is the story of a group of immigrants from Europe and Africa who find themselves picking strawberries on a farm in Kent, England. This is the premise that brings them together, and then, of course, many things happen and they begin a journey together (somewhat) around England.

Here was my inner monologue when reading this book and there is a spoiler, if you consider revealing a major part of the book's ending a spoiler.

1. Well, this isn't too bad.

2. I really like how the narrative voice keeps changing and keeping things interesting. Irina, the young Polish girl is in first person. Andriy, the handsome Polish miner's son is in third person. Emmanuel, the God-fearing singer from Malawi tells his stories through broken English letters to his sister.

3. Is this part being told from a dog's point of view?

4. It is. This is the single best character in the book. "I AM DOG I AM GOOD DOG I RUN FAST."

5. The whole chapter of the book that takes place at chicken farm / processing plant is horrifying. I had to skip most of it. I never want to eat a chicken again.

6. Maybe I shouldn't read this book...

7. Ooh! Eco terrorists!

8. You know, the single best part of this book is the inner monologue of the dog. It reminds me of the movie "Up".

9. Did they SERIOUSLY just kill the dog? A few pages from the end? What the *#$@.

Favorite passages:

It is the privilege of young people to fall in love with the wrong person, and they did.

I AM DOG I AM GOOD DOG I SIT WITH MY MAN I EAT DOG FOOD MEAT MAN EATS MAN FOOD BREAD FISH WE ALL EAT WE ALL SIT ON SMALL SMOOTH STONES NEAR BIG WATER SUN SHINES HOT THIS WATER IS NOT GOOD TO DRINK BAD TASTE BIG WATER RUNS AFTER DOG DOG RUNS AFTER BIG WATER BIG WATER HISSES AT DOG SSSS DOG BARKS AT BIG WATER WOOF DOG SNIFFS BIG WATER SNIFF SNIFF NO DOG SMELL NO MAN SMELL ONLY BIG WATER SMELL EVERYWHERE STONES WOOD WEEDS WASTE DOG FINDS MAN-SHOE BESIDE WATER WET SHOE GOOD MAN-SMELL SHOE DOG BRINGS WET SHOE TO SOUR-PISS-STRONG-FEET-SMELL MAN HE IS HAPPY GOOD DOG HE SAYS I AM GOOD DOG I AM DOG

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Strawberry Fields.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

kotek niecnotek Andriy and Irina are from Ukraine, just so you know :)