Cathy's Reviews > Kushiel's Dart

Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey

Apr 15, 08

Recommended for: The patient and the unprudish
Read in April, 2008

I got bogged down pretty direly in the first 300 pages, between Carey's oddly stilted and over-ripe writing style and the elaborate political machinations -- I was expecting a juicy romp, and it takes the heroine a good ... 150 or so pages to even lose her virginity! I think I have a higher-than-average tolerance for decadent overripeness, and even so I almost threw this one across the room.

Once all the cogs are in place and the main players have FINALLY all been introduced, however, Kushiel's Dart turned out to be jolly good fun. I enjoyed seeing Phedre's adventures through Carey's reimagined Renaissance-ish Europe, and she proves to be a resourceful character indeed. I was eventually even able to keep the D'Angeline nobility more or less straight, which at one point I thought would be impossible. Barbarians! Intrigue! A little magic! Kinky sex! Although that last is none too vividly described.

I will probably eventually pick up the first sequel, and hope that with the groundwork laid, I won't spend the first third of the book waiting for anything to happen.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kushiel's Dart.