Jeff Miller's Reviews > Shadowheart

Shadowheart by Tad Williams

Jan 25, 11

Read from January 10 to 25, 2011

Thrilling conclusion is such a cliche, but there are times when cliches are the most accurate phrase to use. Since I have been following this series since it first came out I have been waiting some years for this conclusion of what was originally suppose to be a trilogy.

This was well worth the wait and this fantasy series becomes one of my all time favorites. Tad Williams is so adept at creating a believable world with intricate plots and characters fully fleshed out. Reading the ending was almost bittersweet like have to leave some long time friends. The buildup to the confrontation with the autarch and the Lord Protector is thrilling in every detail and wonderful to watch as all the threads from the previous novels merge. What I loved even more though is that after this confrontation which turned into something even more dangerous is that the book does not just end at this. The characters are so important that you want to see how all the relationships wrap up and to discover those mysteries alluded to in the novel. This was done brilliantly and I did not feel cheated at all. This is just plain masterful storytelling.

I listened to the audio version with 27 CD's and I found the reader Dick Hill to be pitch perfect. I had read the first 3 novels and hearing it as an audiobook added another dimension to it. Dick Hill has a nice theatrical voice that fit in perfectly with epic fantasy and he did an excellent job differentiating all the different characters which is rather hard when you have so many chapters with scene changes.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadowheart.