KidsFiction Teton County Library's Reviews > Leaping Beauty: And Other Animal Fairy Tales

Leaping Beauty by Gregory Maguire

Jan 10, 11

J Maguire

A funny collection of short stories that fractured fairy tales for people of all ages. Every story made me laugh out loud and I was sad when the book ended. Amond my favorite tales was "The Three Little Penguins and the Big Bad Walrus" in which the little penguins left the oven on, causing their igloo to melt while their mom was out. The youngest penguin is an artistic character who, rather than buying straw or twigs to build a house, buys a blow torch on impulse and uses it to craft a dance studio out of ice. The final paragraph of this story was one of my favorites of the entire book: "the youngest penguin worked on a new dance, called the Ice of Spring. It was intended to be danced, daringly, in the nude, but since penguins don't usually wear clothes, nobody especially noticed the difference."

I also loved "So What and the Seven Giraffes" and "little Red Robin Hood" about a red robin who wears a red cape while he steals from the rich birds to reward the poor -- although he feels guilty about stealing, so usually gives some sort of worm treat in return. Wonderful plays on words and the original fairy tales make this book perfect for a read aloud or reader's theatre.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leaping Beauty.