Jim's Reviews > If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B Movie Actor

If Chins Could Kill by Bruce Campbell

Oct 21, 14

bookshelves: biography, 1paper, 2non-fiction
Read from January 10 to 16, 2011

I finally got all the Quarry books & was dying to read them, so why did I read this instead? Am I a FAN? A Deadite? Yeah, sort of. I've loved the Evil Dead movies since... well, a really long time, and I've liked Bruce Campbell's acting. He doesn't seem to take himself too seriously & his on-screen sense of humor seems to mesh well with mine. After reading this book, I understand why.

Let me qualify this by saying I'm not much for following actors or famous people. When I heard Mel Gibson got a DUI, I shrugged & flipped the channel. I've seen plenty of drunks go back out & that saddens me, but I really don't care about his personal life - it's none of my business. It's not like he's a friend or anything. I watch his movies for entertainment - nothing else.

If you like the typical glitzy Hollywood story, this isn't for you. Campbell writes, "St. Martin's Press, in their wisdom/foolishness decided to give me a shot on this tale of Hollywood's unrecognized lower middle class." He succeeded in showing that to me. From the importance of the guy that cleans up the lot to all the techs & extras. I was also surprised by the breadth of his experience & the number of roles he has had. Very cool.

I was quite surprised by some of the things he was subjected to, often because his boyhood friend, Sam Raimi (Spiderman director) was delighting in torturing him while in the throes of yet another artistic vision & short on cash. I can't wait to watch the ED trilogy again with the knowledge that this book imparted. It was a neat glimpse into Raimi's early career, too. Great directors & actors don't spring out of the earth, but work their tails off & are gambling the whole way. It gives me a new respect for them. Self-employment is scary enough. To do it in the face of the whimsical executives of Hollywood is down right terrifying. To have a sense of humor about it is just fantastic. Campbell has both my thanks for all the entertainment he's provided me & my respect for having the courage to make a decent living in this weird industry.

Check him out at

12 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If Chins Could Kill.

Nick I read this a couple of years back and enjoyed it. Really funny!

message 2: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim I'm thoroughly amazed at all the stuff he does in movies; stuntman (often unwillingly), sound mixer, voice overs, producer, director & more. He is a hoot. I love reading about the Evil Deads, too. I've loved those movies for years. I'm watching Briscoe County Jr now. I got it & Jack of all Trades for $40 from Amazon.

message 3: by Sandi (new)

Sandi I loved Briscoe County Jr. Will have to look for this book.

message 4: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim I'd pass along my copy, but my son is another Deadite, so has first dibs. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

message 5: by Mary-Ann (new) - added it

Mary-Ann It's okay to be a fan, well I loved him as Bill Church Jr. In Lois and Clark, I don't know that that makes me a fan. It was an impressionable period of my life. As well as his recurring roll in um Xena? And I had to google it but I even watched "Jack of All Trades" but then again... I watched a lot of TV back then. ~L~ Hmm *adds to "To Read" list.