Cheryl's Reviews > The Hustle: One Team and Ten Lives in Black and White

The Hustle by Doug Merlino

1976749
Jan 10, 2011

bookshelves: favorites, review-bn, first-read-arc-giveaway, racism, social-issues, basketball, private-school, politics, memoir, african-american, non-fiction, review-gr
Recommended to Cheryl by: First Reads
Read in February, 2011

The Hustle is one of those books that will linger in my heart and mind. Once started, I was mesmerized until the last page was read. The description said "The result is a complex, gripping, and, at times, unsettling story." In my opinion, this book far exceeded that. This is a book about far more than what happened to 10 boys on a basketball team.

Perhaps because of the author's journalistic background, there is a curious lack of condemnation in the book, even when describing difficult, heart-wrenching issues. This underlying respect for the reader's ability to evaluate the situation without being told what to think/feel was immensely appealing to me. Equally impressive was the masterly weaving of historical context throughout the book, creating a multi-layered story that provided the information necessary to understand the individual stories within the context of past and present. I learned a lot without ever feeling it was interfering with the story.

A heart-felt thank you to the author, Doug Merlino, and all the members of the team, for sharing their lives in such a deeply moving way.

*This book was provided free through the Goodreads First Reads program with the expectation of an honest review. My opinions are my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hustle.

message 1: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Pickering You find the most interesting books. I'm anxious to hear your opinion on this one.