Amanda's Reviews > Tithe

2682082
Jan 27, 11

bookshelves: ya-library-challenge
Read from January 18 to 27, 2011

I'm not sure what to think about this one. It was definitely different, a little bit creepy, and... Roiben. :) He's officially my new fictional faerie boyfriend, not to be confused with my fictional werewolf, fallen angel, and wizard boyfriends. ANYway. I did enjoy this, and I keep on thinking about it, which is a good sign in my book. I'm very interested in seeing what the sequel will be like. I liked Kaye, but everyone seemed a little distant, like they were from another world that I didn't fully understand. Which I guess they are. I just didn't really feel like I could relate to the characters, like in other different-world-books scenarios. I'll stop rambling now, I blame not enough sleep for this review. :)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tithe.

Quotes Amanda Liked

Holly Black
“Yeah, the whole family knows. It's no big deal. One night at dinner I said, 'Mom, you know the forbidden love that Spock has for Kirk? Well, me too.' It was easier for her to understand that way.”

Holly Black
“Kaye: You know what the sun looks like?
Janet: No, What?
Kaye: Like he slit his wrists in a bathtub and the blood is all over the water.
Janet: That's gross, Kaye.
Kaye: And the moon is just watching. She's just watching him die. She must have driven him to it.”

Holly Black
“If curiosity killed the cat, it was satisfaction that brought it back.”

Holly Black
“So what are you really wearing?" The words left her mouth before she could consider them. She winced.
He didn't seem to mind; in fact, he flashed her one of his brief smiles. "And if I said nothing at all?"
"Then I would point out that sometimes, if you look at something out of the corner of your eye, you can see right through glamour," she returned.
That brought surprised laughter. "What a relief to us both then that I am actually wearing exactly what you saw me in this afternoon. Although one might point out that in that outfit, your last concern should be my modesty.”

Holly Black
“She suddenly understood why she had let him kiss her in the diner, why she had wanted him at all.

She wanted to control him.

He was every arrogant boyfriend that had treated her mother badly. He was every boy that told her she was too freaky, who had laughed at her, or just wanted her to shut up and make out. He was a thousand times less real than Roiben.”

01/26/2011 page 141

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ellie (new)

Ellie Who's your wizard bf? XD

Amanda Harry Potter, do you even have to ask? XD I'm just gonna ignore that little epilogue in the end of the last book. Didn't happen. ;)

message 3: by Ellie (new)

Ellie Haha! Harry, really? I was expecting Draco Malfoy... Or you can dye your hair red.

Amanda Ahh, Draco. I did have a crush on him in the movies. And I do love gingers! Ron is a close second. And I wouldn't have to dye my hair for him! haha.

message 5: by Ellie (new)

Ellie Yes, if only his hair was that way all the time. Draco's, I mean. XD I don't get why everyone likes Ron so much...I mean, he's good, but not...and Harry, too.