MARGO's Reviews > The Outlander

The Outlander by Gil Adamson

Jan 16, 2011

it was ok
Read from January 10 to 13, 2011

"While I did enjoy the story, I am somewhat perplexed by it as well. In 1903 Mary Boulton age 19 yrs has just shot her husband in the thigh and watche...moreWhile I did enjoy the story, I am somewhat perplexed by it as well. In 1903 Mary Boulton age 19 yrs has just shot her husband in the thigh and watched him bleed to death so she must flee the home which is a run down cabin in the midst of nowhereville. Mary came from a well to do background and was married off to the first person who showed interest in her a man named John Boulton who took her into the wilds to life. She gives birth to a sickly male child who dies soon after birth and she then finds out that her husband has been cheating on her. What I find hard to accept is the fact that Mary shoots her husband for this when she clearly does not love him so it is not a crime of passion in any way and I think it would have been better had she just left him and returned to her family. However then there would not have been a story at all. Mary flees and is followed by her husband's brothers who are described as two very large red-head twins. Along the way she has an affair with a man who has been a hermit for approximately 10 years or so- can you just imagine how he must smell after living in the outdoors without bathing facilities all that time. I did finish the book and it was not bad but some parts were overly descriptive and too long.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Outlander.