Wendy Darling's Reviews > Shiver

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Lovely, lyrical, and achingly sad. Shiver is more introspective than most YA books and is sometimes criticized for being too slow or wordy, but I found it to be beautifully written, tragic, and a gorgeous take on werewolf lore. Sam's desperate struggle to hold onto his humanity is incredibly poignant, and his heartrending relationship with Grace is deeply emotional and sweet. It's a book that makes me cry every time I read it.

Sam cupped my face in his hands and looked me in the eyes. His eyes were yellow, sad, wolf, mine.

"These stay the same. Remember that when you look at me. Remember it's me. Please."

PS--this book is NOTHING like Twilight, despite the inevitable comparisons because of the subject matter. It's in a class all its own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shiver.

Quotes Wendy Darling Liked

Maggie Stiefvater
“I said uselessly, "Sam, don't go."

"These stay the same. Remember that when you look at me. Remember it's me. Please.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“As the hours crept by, the afternoon sunlight bleached all the books on the shelves to pale, gilded versions of themselves and warmed the paper and ink inside the covers so that the smell of unread words hung in the air.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Grace stopped in the door, dimly silhouetted by the dull gray morning light, and looked back at me, at my eyes, my mouth, my hands, in a way that made something inside me knot and unknot unbearably.

I didn't think I belonged here in her world, a boy stuck between two lives, dragging the dangers of the wolves with me, but when she said my name, waiting for me to follow, I knew I'd do anything to stay with her.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“She was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen, a tiny, bloody angel in the snow, and they were going to destroy her.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“I settled on the floor and whispered to Sam, “I want you to listen to me, if you can.” I leaned the side of my face against his ruff and remembered the golden wood he had shown me so long ago. I remembered the way the yellow leaves, the color of Sam’s eyes, fluttered and twisted, crashing butterflies, on their way to the ground. The slender white trunks of the birches, creamy and smooth as human skin. I remembered Sam standing in the middle of the wood, his arms stretched out, a dark, solid form in the dream of the trees. His coming to me, me punching his chest, the soft kiss. I remembered every kiss we’d ever had, and I remembered every time I’d curled in his human arms. I remembered the soft warmth of his breath on the back of my neck while we slept.
I remembered Sam.”
Maggie Stiefvater, Shiver

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

So I assume you are looking forward to the Shiver movie then?

Wendy Darling Umm...I don't know about that. Depends on who makes it/stars in it/etc. But the tone of this book would be hard to get right.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree. Can't wait to see what you think of Linger =)

Wendy Darling Oh, I've read Linger. :) Of course! I liked it, though I'm into Sam and Grace more than Izzy and Cole. I'm looking forward to FOREVER, though! And I'm kind of looking forward to closure, too...for all of us!

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) I should probably read this after all.

Wendy Darling Yes, please, Maja. But don't tell me if you hate it. It will break my little heart in two.

Aleeeeeza how do i download it? from what i can guess i have to hear it online :(

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) I don't think that's going to happen. I trust you. We seem to agree on these things.

Aleeeeeza nvm i got it now. thank you SOOO much. ive been wanting to read this book for soooo, so, so long

Bonnie Awesome thanks! I've never gotten around to reading this and I rarely listen to audio books so maybe I should give it a shot.

message 11: by Wendy Darling (last edited Jun 23, 2011 12:41PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wendy Darling I hope so, Maja! And you're welcome, Aleeza and Bonnie. I edited the link above so it takes people directly to the Shiver and Overdrive software (which you'll need to listen to it) download. Honestly, I think I'd still prefer to read this particular book, but I know audiophiles may enjoy this more.

They have Romeo and Juliet available as a free audiobook this week, too...plus more coming!

message 12: by AH (new) - added it

AH Great minds must think alike. I was just about to post a status update that this book, along with Romeo and Juliet too.

Wendy Darling The more people who can take advantage, the better!

message 14: by HєllyBєlly (new) - added it

HєllyBєlly Nice one, thanks for the tip!

Lisa O. Maja wrote: "I should probably read this after all."

Maja, you should try this, I liked it very much!
I didn't like Linger as much but Shiver was just as Wendy describes it. Lovely, lyrical and achingly sad.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Oh, ok. I've read some pretty bad reviews so I never even considered it, but I trust you girls more. It's going up on my tbr. :)
I'm in the mood for achingly sad books anyway.

Lisa O. so if it sucks you can blame Wendy :P

message 18: by AH (new) - added it

AH Maja, it's free as an audio download this week. Even if you hate it, you won't have wasted any money.

Wendy Darling OR you may kiss her dainty paw, sobbing with equal parts pain and pleasure over this beautiful book.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Not for my country it isn't. But it doesn't matter. I'd rather read it anyway.

Lisa, I don't think I can! She's my fairy godmother. Blaming her would be very, very wrong.

Wendy Darling Indeed.

Amanda (Good Choice Reading) I need to read Linger. I felt the same about Shiver. The writing is absolutely beautiful and I find calling it "slow" and "wordy" a little bit crazy. I also find comparing it to Twilight silly. But what can ya do?

message 23: by Wendy Darling (last edited Jun 23, 2011 03:24PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wendy Darling Well. I've heard these called much worse, and it's one of those series people seem to enjoy ripping into. I totally get that this book isn't for everyone, but I will never understand reviews that seem to take such pleasure in being negative. But anyway--I hope at least that people will read it and find out for themselves whether it's something they like!

Amanda (Good Choice Reading) Couldn't agree more! :)

Wesley If it's taken seriously with casting and not given a "dream team" it has the potential to really be a great film. The tone and presence attributed to the writing could absolutely amplify the story. I thought these were fantastic books and look forward #3. I got made fun of by just about everyone I knew that knew I was reading them but it was well worth it, I think at least.

Wendy Darling I hope they do a good job with it, Wesley. I agree it has a lot of potential, but I always try to manage my expectations with these things.

I'm so glad you read the books, though! I really hate it when people denigrate other people's reading choices. Particularly when you're so OBVIOUSLY in the right on this one. ;)

message 27: by Jessica-Robyn (new)

Jessica-Robyn Thank you for the download link!
I've tried to read Shiver before but I just couldn't find the time to fit it in with other reading. Although I'm not sure if I'll love it, it seems interesting and I can never turn down an audio book. :D

Thomas Great review, I absolutely loved this book and Linger. Less than a month until Forever, woo!

Wendy Darling You're welcome, JR! I hope you'll enjoy the audiobook. :)

And thanks, Thomas...this is one of those reviews I went back and added after I started using GoodReads more regularly so it's not as detailed as usual. But it gets the point across, I think. So excited for FOREVER! Just a few weeks away.

Clarissa I have mixed feelings about this book. It was beautifully written but there is no humour in it. It's just so melancholy. I like books best when they can manage both humour and sadness

message 31: by Cécilia (new)

Cécilia L. Now, now, Wendy, you're making me curious. I might try this one after all.

Wendy Darling There is some humor in it ("Hello, Grace's parents, I have never had my tongue in your daughter's mouth"), but it's true that it's more subtle. And the book is definitely sad.

Cecelia, I'm not sure if you would like this one, though...

message 33: by Cécilia (new)

Cécilia L. I doubt it too, lol, but the little cheesy fangirl in me might be indulgent.

Lisa (Fic Talk) I wish I could LIKE this review a hundred times, Wendy. Especially the ending about it being NOTHING like Twilight. I honestly hated that comparison. To read any of the Wolves of Mercy Falls books and see anything Twilight related is absurd. I LOVED this book. And I agree that I'm more into Sam and Grace's relationship than the others. I just HEART Sam so badly. LE SIGH.

Wendy Darling Oh, thanks Lisa! I'm kind of tired of seeing every paranormal book compared to Twilight anyway, but especially when it comes to this particular book. I'm so glad you love it, too!

message 36: by D.G. (new)

D.G. Ohh I have this audiobook on my TBL but I didn't know if I should listen to it because the reviews are so mixed. Well, I'll take the plunge next and form my own opinion. :)

Wendy Darling I hope you will give it a try, Temptress! You might not enjoy it, but then again, you might love it too. People seem to fall in either one category or the other with this book. This one makes me incredibly sad and incredibly happy all at once.

Yoshay L. Lindblom I totally agree with you Wendy. This book is far from other YA paranormal romances. It is definitely introspective. I love the fact that it is so lyrical. T'was a wonderful debut.

Wendy Darling I like that it's so different from all the other YA books out there. I think she actually wrote her fae book first, but this one is definitely my favorite. I'm glad you love it, too!

Ronyell Great review Wendy!! I really enjoyed this book too!

Wendy Darling Thanks Ronyell! This is probably my favorite YA book of all time. :)

Ronyell One of my favorites too!

Heidi still trying to find the right words...I hate the twilight comparisons this blows twilights doors off...why does twilight have to be the "proverbial measuring stick" there are so many way better books out there.

Wendy Darling The words will come, Heidi. :) Just let the book sit with you for a few days.

I agree, I hate the comparisons to Twilight. It's overused in reviews, and it's particularly far-reaching in this particular book.

Heidi Thanks Wendy I agonize over my reviews. I am almost done just polishing. I am going to disappoint you though. I am saving its posting for my blog which is finally almost ready to debut probably end of the week. I put your button on my blog roll. Thank you for all your encouragement along the way!

Wendy Darling Oh, great! Look forward to reading your review. Good luck with the blog, too. :)

Heidi Thank you I will keep you posted!

Kaleigh_smith I totally agree. It was beautifully tragic. I see no similarities to Twilight. "It's in a class all its own."

Ceecee You took the words out of my mouth, Wendy. It didn't make me cry though, but I just loved its beautiful sadness. :)

Redwolf I completely agree