Donovan's Reviews > 365 Days

365 Days by Julie Doucet

Jan 27, 11

Read in January, 2011

Picked this up at the store after spotting it while dusting the shelves. I'm a big fan of collage work and comics and I'm trying to read more independent works. I'd never read anything by Julie Doucet; honestly, I'd no idea who she was, so I was absent of any preconceived opinions on the artist or her work.

I have two main thoughts about the book: 1. I wish I could see it in it's original text {and that I could read French}. 2. I kept on thinking back to the world before the ubiquity of constant social media. The casual intimacy of this book was probably much more striking before I knew what everyone's day was like. The "fly on the wall" was a great escape, but I feel like I'm in on every big {and more often, little} secret so this wasn't special to me. This is obviously a fault with me, not with the book. And I want to know these types of things; I wouldn't seek them out otherwise.

It took me a long time to read this, nearly a month. I read it in small batches, mostly on the bus. It's an active read because you search out the text, unlike with a traditional novel where your eye just travels along in neat little rows. I may or may not search out more of her work. I'm interested to see more of her collage work and it was disappointing to me that there was so little collage in the diary.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 365 Days.

01/10/2011 page 0
0.0% "There are no page numbers."