Denise's Reviews > The Titans

The Titans by John Jakes

Sep 21, 13

bookshelves: fiction, my-fav-authors
Read from January 10 to 19, 2011

The Kent family is torn apart as the strife of the Civil War pits a father against his sons. Jephtha Kent is on the side of the Union...his ex-wife and three sons live in the South and favor the Confederacy. This Kent saga expertly dwells on the patriotic lingo used by governments and their citizens to whip up hatred against their perceived "enemies". What was true during the months running up to the start of the Civil War is still true today. The "other side" of armed conflicts are depicted as evil devils while "our side" is promoted as "just and honorable". Yet war is not honorable because it brings out the beast in people and promotes the widespread killing of other human beings. War destroys societies, families, and economies. It creates generations of wounded and crippled veterans who must come home and somehow pick up the pieces of their lives again (if they can). And the author dwells on the turmoil in each person as they accept or reject the concept of war and its aftereffects. I highly recommend the whole Kent Chronicles series but this particular one is especially poignant at a time when our country is again engaged in an ongoing war--on TWO fronts at the same time!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Titans.