Laura's Reviews > Jerk, California

Jerk, California by Jonathan Friesen

Jan 16, 11

bookshelves: young-adult
Read on January 10, 2011

I found this one while browsing around the paperback section in the library. I thought the cover was cool and read the excerpt on the back of the book. I was intrigued by the subject and decided to give it a try. Let me start by saying this book is stellar. I read the entire thing in one day. I just couldn't stop reading.

This is very character-driven. Though the plot is very interesting, I think the changes in Sam and Naomi during the story are what really make it. There's definitely a coming-of-age vibe to the book. It's also really interesting to watch Sam and Naomi's relationship rise and fall throughout the book. They're very hot and cold. I think this is because they're both going through some tough changes. It all become a little overwhelming, emotionally. But they learn a lot from each other and through their friendship.

It has a strong plot, with some twists and turns along the way. It's quirky too, which I like. It's a bit of a roller coaster of emotions. It will make you happy, sad, and angry in the span of minutes. I had a hard time reading about some of the things people do and say to Sam. It's amazing how heartless people can be sometimes, and how easily they will write off anyone who's different. This one is definitely worth the read.

I got a little curious about Tourette Syndrome after reading this and wanted to look into a little more. I found a really interesting YouTube video by Marc Elliot, a motivational speaking with Tourette Syndrome. There's also a nice reading guide in the back that includes an interview with the author, who also has Tourette Syndrome. He had some interesting thing to say about his experience with it. That interview can also be found on his website.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jerk, California.

01/10/2011 page 50