Titus Burley's Reviews > Eaters of the Dead

Eaters of the Dead by Michael Crichton

Jan 10, 11

Read in January, 2011

Michael Crichton novels are like delicious delicacies that one must ration lest he or she eat the whole batch and have none left. Since his passing, I have rationed his novels even more carefully. "Eaters Of The Dead" sat on my shelf begging to be read for years. When I watched the film, "The 13th Warrior," and realized it was based on this novel, the element of surprise was gone and I knew it was time to blow the dust off the red top stain of the first edition and eat my fill. It did not disappoint. Stylistically, Crichton had a ball with this novel understating in a subtlely hilarious fashion an amazingly fun action novel. The genius of Crichton was always to take the academically or scientifically inaccessible and present it in layman's terms without dumbing down the content. It is a rare tight rope to walk and he mastered the form repeatedly throughout his life. A multitude of themes emerge in the short novel and all are worthy of prolonged discussion or debate. I'll not spoil any of it with too much erudition. Suffice to say, it is worth reading. As for the movie... not bad. Hollywood was notorious for taking great Crichton books and turning them into silly movies. "Congo" being the most egregious example with "Rising Sun" not far behind. To read a Crichton novel is to enjoy one of the most brilliant and energetic minds of the century. I doubt there is a writer alive who can match his unique skillset. Pity. I miss the dude a lot.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eaters of the Dead.