Victorious's Reviews > The Line

4520855
Jan 12, 11

bookshelves: 2011-reads, meh, middle-school
Read from January 10 to 11, 2011

I'm gonna let you in on a little secret.

I have a tendancy to read the last pages of books- usually if I'm so excited I can't help myself (Mockingjay) or so damn bored I want to know the ending so I can stop reading (Graceling). It's a nasty habit I picked up from my mother but I can't seem to stop myself.

For me, The Line fell somewhere in between extreme boredom and nervous excitement. I was rarely tempted to flip to the last page, but the story was decent enough that it kept moving. I won't go into a plot summary because... I don't feel like it.

To echo what a lot of other readers have said, this book feels like one half of a decent novel. The ending is abrupt- after a shocking revelation (I gasped, thinking, "How did I not see that coming?!") there is literally one paragraph left until the books ends.

The characters are somewhat flat and I felt a strange disconnect from the story- though at 219 pages, it seems a difficult task to explain an entire dystopian society AND fully develop 5 or 6 characters AND explain the complex process of growing orchids. I honestly could not picture the characters in my head when reading like Peter!? I literally pictured Pete from The Sweetest Thing cause all I got for description was tall w/ blonde hair. Kthanks- he's cute so it kinda worked.

Rachel's age seemed unknown to me, too. One minute she was crying like a sissy 9-year-old, but the next Vivian mentions that she's close to adulthood. At first I thought she was 9... but know I'm not so sure.

The hardest thing for me with The Line was the narration. At first I didn't understand why it was written in 3rd person- it seemed like a story to be written in 1st- but the switching focus on characters just didn't work to me. I understand why Hall wrote in this POV, but each new chapter with a new character focus took me out of the bigger story.

Interesting dystopian ideas that made me think of the tv show LOST (the others...), and I will definitely read the 2nd book come Sept, but only b/c of the cliffhanger ending. If it wasn't for the "OMG ARE YOU SERIOUSSSSSSS" last page, I might be tempted to skip the sequel.

3.5 stars. Hear, hear!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Line.

01/10/2011 page 55
25.0% "I feel like this book REALLY wants to be written in 1st person POV. Like, it's practically begging me to read it using "I" instead of "she", which is kind of taking me out of the narrative. Other than that, a bit slow, but interesting so far!"