Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)'s Reviews > For The Blood Is The Life: An Uncanny Gothic Vampire Tale

For The Blood Is The Life by Francis Marion Crawford

Jan 10, 2011

bookshelves: ebook, tales-to-chill-your-blood, classic-horror, favorites, vampire, set-in-italy, short-story, 2011-reading
Recommended to Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) by: Classic Horror Lovers group read
Recommended for: Fans of classic horror short stories
Read on January 10, 2011 , read count: 1

Oh, now that was a good, old-fashioned horror story. It definitely does live up the challenge of chilling my blood. It was very atmospheric, and written to great affect. I could almost imagine how it must have been for poor Angelo each night when he was preyed upon by the creature, and I felt as though I could see the mound that the two gentlemen are discussing, and how creepy that must have been for them. I also felt sad at the injustice against poor Cristina, and how she wreaks her vengeance. Crawford doesn't explain how or why the creature rises to prey on Angelo, but I don't feel it was necessary. This story was completely successful in delivering an elegant scare. I read "The Upper Berth" by this author, and it was very scary. This one is quite fearsome as well, although very different. Mr. Crawford knows his way around a scary story. Yes, indeed. He's going on my list of the best classic horror writers.

5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read For The Blood Is The Life.

message 1: by Werner (new)

Werner Danielle, I've read both of those Crawford stories, and loved them too!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Are there other stories of his you would recommend?

message 3: by Werner (new)

Werner No, those are the only two I've read by him. I don't have any collection of his works, if there is one, so I only ran across these two in different multi-author anthologies. Sorry!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Oh, that's okay. Just thought I'd pick your brain. :) I do have one of his collections in print. I'll let you know what I think.

message 5: by Werner (new)

Werner I'll look forward to that, Danielle!

message 6: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan Thanks for your great reviews - this is another of yours going on my 'To Read' list. My hubby also owns it so it's an easy one for me to track down. : )

message 7: by Karla (new)

Karla Cool, I had no idea that he wrote horror stories. I know him mainly as a historical fiction/romance writer, usually set in Italy. I've got quite a few of those downloaded to the ereader and hope to get to them someday. I'll have to make sure I have this one as well.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Susan, I hope you enjoy it.

Karla, it's funny. I'm more familiar with the classic horror writers (or those who also wrote horror) because it's my genre. I see that he has a lot of non-horror stories, many are free on Kindle. I hope can recommend some of his other stuff that you enjoy.