Alex's Reviews > Life is Elsewhere

Life is Elsewhere by Milan Kundera

Jan 22, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read from January 21 to 22, 2011

Holy crap, this book was great. I mean, as long as you don't like pleasant books about nice people. It's vicious. And thank God, the lead character stopped reminding me of the worst things about me eventually.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life is Elsewhere.

Stacie I have this on my shelf to read...I really like Kundera. Look forward to hearing what you think. Maybe it will prod me to pick it up sooner rather than later.

Alex My favorite French cousin gave it to me for Christmas, because she's apparently the only person in my family thoughtful enough to realize I'd love to get a book that means something to her personally. I've never read him before, but he makes a perfect capstone to my brief upcoming French segment.

Alex If you happen to have some free time, Stacie (I know, that's funny), I'm starting this probably next.

Stacie I could start it. Now that I am back to work, I actually have a little MORE reading time (luckily, the beginning of the semester is always quiet), so I should be able to FINALLY finish Underworld soon and can start on that. Yay! It has been too long since I read Kundera.

Alex Okay cool! Should be about two or three days for me. I'll check back with you.

Alex Hey Stacie - just started this! Seems like it's going to be a quick read. Fun so far. I want to punch the kid in the face...and I'm horribly worried that it might be because he's me.

Stacie I have about 80 pages left. Hoping to get through this last doc for work and then finish it. I am sure you will be done with the book before I am doing working.

message 8: by Alasse (new)

Alasse Ha! I've been there. Now I'm curious though :P

Alex You might be right, Stacie...this book is shorter than it looks. Large type and lots of chapter breaks.

Totally digging it though.

Alasse - you mean irritated by characters in novels who remind you uncomfortably of yourself? Yeah.

message 10: by Cindy (new)

Cindy You've already had a bunch of 5-star books this year. Wicked.

message 11: by Alex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex Well, it's one of the advantages of reading a lot of classics. I give a lot of five-star reviews. But yeah, I owe my cousin for giving me this one. It's pretty great.

message 12: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Sweet. She sounds mega-awesome.

message 13: by Alex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex She's pretty cool.

Stacie Well, so much for reading this together, Alex. :) I just started this morning.

message 15: by Alex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex Close enough, Stacie!

Stacie Just finished part 2, and am loving it! It has been awhile since I read Kundera - I am remembering how much I love his prose and style of storytelling.

message 17: by Alex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex Part 2 was Xavier, right? Man, that threw me for a few pages. Once he locked the dude in the armoire I finally figured out what was going on. I'm a slow study.

Stacie Really? Cause I am not 100% clear what that was about...I am even slower.

message 19: by Alex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex It's just a dream sequence; an escapist fantasy wherein Jaromil's not the huge pussy he was in Part One.

Stacie AHA! I thought it was maybe a dream - or that Xavier was some sort of alter ego.

message 21: by Alex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex I think both of those statements are true, yeah.