Russamun82's Reviews > Elizabeth I

Elizabeth I by Anne Somerset

Feb 11, 11

bookshelves: british-history-nonfiction
Read from January 26 to February 10, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Somerset outdoes herself in this highly detailed work. Though it can at times be information overload, it still reads as a detailed account of a remarkable forty four year history of a realm on its way out of the backwaters to nationhood amongst the superpowers of the day. I especially enjoyed the details of issues and things beyond the court such as the wars in the Netherlands, and Ireland which are so often glossed over in other books on her reign.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Elizabeth I.

01/26/2011 page 18
01/28/2011 page 69
11.0% "A Good look at the early part of the life of Elizabeth. I liked how she started not with the birth of this woman, but instead started with the first crisis of her life which was to define it far more than her simple birth to loving parents, with the exception of Henry VIII, who wanted a son, much good it did him!"
01/31/2011 page 128
20.0% "No wonder she never married. Her relationships make my head spin! That and no body of true merit could be found in my opinion."
02/03/2011 page 270
42.0% "How can so many of these would be conspirators be so thick. Just place a sign advertising that you mean to set up Mary. As for Mary herself, where is her head?"
show 5 hidden updates…