Douglas's Reviews > The Book of Atrix Wolfe

Jan 10, 11

bookshelves: read-recent
Read in January, 2010

Recommended.

Not as good as Alphabet of Thorne, one of this story's chief charms are the long and detailed descriptions of food, as a major kingdom's kitchen is one of the key set pieces.

There's plenty of inventive fantasy here, dramatic moments, chases, dreamy sequences that don't annoy me (that's unusual), and characters that evoke empathy very successfully.

The chief fault of the story is that not much seems to ever happen or matter. It is as if the entire plot occurs in the first chapter (which most of it does), and the rest of the story is about everyone figuring out what happened. Like a murder mystery?

Anyway, all fault is forgiven because of all the things that Patricia McKillip does well. Wrapping myself up in the book was warm and fascinating. I just wish the dramatic reveals had anything left to reveal, which they didn't. But they could of! Oh Patricia, you kept raising the stakes, but they always felt like the same level!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Atrix Wolfe.