Sara's Reviews > Caveat Emptor

Caveat Emptor by Ruth Downie

Feb 11, 11

bookshelves: first-reads, mystery, historical-fiction, fiction, ancient-rome, england, own
Read from January 24 to February 11, 2011

ARC received through the First Reads giveaway program.

It's been more than a year since I read Persona Non Grata, the third book in Ruth Downie's Medicus series. I said I would read the first two in the series, and I have to admit, I have not yet done so. I do intend to, though.

In this offering, Ruso and his now-wife Tilla head back to Britain, where Ruso hopes to find medical work while he and Tilla settle down. Instead, he ends up having to solve another mystery. This one involves murder, missing tax money, and a descendant of the infamous Boudica (or Boudicca, or Boadicea, or Buddug--whatever your preferred spelling). Many characters, introduced previously in the series or brand-new, are encountered. They run the gamut from overly helpful and messing things up to not helpful at all and messing things up. Ruso has quite the mystery on his hands.

I admit I didn't enjoy this book as much as I enjoyed Persona Non Grata. Tilla, especially, seemed to lose a certain aspect of her character that appealed to me more in the previous book. Perhaps marriage has changed her? I also had a little trouble following the mystery. As I stated in my Persona Non Grata review, I'm not usually super-into mysteries. It's possible I had more trouble with this one because I read it on the Metro and I kept falling asleep. (Being bundled up in my winter coat and the rocking of the train tends to make me nod off.) There is one major thing going for this book, though--Ruso seems like a completely real person to me, even though I've only read half of his adventures.

I really must read those first two books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Caveat Emptor.