Krystl Louwagie's Reviews > Malice

Malice by Chris Wooding

Jan 15, 11

Read from January 10 to 15, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Why this book grabbed my attention should be pretty obvious-a young adult novel that goes between novel and graphic novel, and featured around a type of horror story (rumored that kids say a chant and perform a little potion to get transported into the creepy and unpredictable world of Malice(a comic world that kids read), where many kids die). However, what drew me to it was also what made me feel a little wary of it-I thought the concept and execution seemed a little too gimmicky-that perhaps the story would only ride on that use that as a cover up for something that really wasn't executed that well. Also, the cover is neat with it's pop out 3D thing, but also something that would seem to grab attention and compensate where actual quality might be lacking.

For the most part, I was pleasantly surprised. The story is good, the characters are even better. Most of all, although the main character is a boy (as well as the author), his girls are important, full, strong characters with just as much brains, bravery, and fighting skills as the boys. I think the characters and their emotions/reactions are realistic, I loved them and respected them. So far, the villains need a little more meat for me (their motives are fairly mysterious, but indeed, there is a sequel and by this book I trust the author enough that I think he'll weave some interesting explanations for them). There's a great balance of creepy and dark with hope.

My only complaints about this book is about the art and the comic portions. Honestly, the art wasn't very good-it looked like quick sketches and was vague and hard to understand, even from someone who is very familiar with how comics read. The possibilities for the art in this comic were massive-creepy, strange, world with creepy never seen before creatures and machines-it could have been some really bizarre, dark, neat stuff. Instead it looks rushed and dismissive, like an afterthought gimmick and not something that was important in the actual planning of the story. Also, in the novel, the comic is drawn by something, or someone, very strange (I think not human but I'm not sure yet?) who can see randomly into the world of Malice-he would have original drawings, I'm quite sure. As they were, the pictures didn't enhance the story what so ever, but what possibilities were there!! When I started reading the book, I thought that all the parts of the book taking part in Malice would be drawn-it's a good thing that wasn't the case because I go so much more out of the written parts-it turns out the only parts that were drawn in the were the parts that made it into the actual comic in the "real life" of the book, except they only showed the parts with the characters that pertained to the characters in the story of the book-but in the book, the comic features short random scenes from all over Malice-and I think for consistency's sake, the readers of the book should have been able to see the full comics of what the people were reading in the comics. Make sense? :p I guess it's kind of hard to talk about if you haven't read it. :p

But really, the story, the world created (both the new and the way he writes about the real world), and the characters were great, and I am excited to someday read the next one (which is already out)!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Malice.

01/10/2011 page 13