Sharon's Reviews > Black Wings

Black Wings by Christina Henry

Jan 10, 11

bookshelves: paranormal-fantasy
Read in January, 2011

I would rate this as a guanteed read - for pure escapism & being well written. I was glued from the first page. It flows, the story twists & turns & you are right there with the main character Maddy throughout, who through no fault of her own, is a Soul Collector - when her mother died she automatically had to take over & grew into her wings, dodging social services with only a Gargoyle for companionship & protection from the age of thirteen - Maddy is defensive, opinionated, not afraid to stand her ground with her annoying bureaucratic boss, she takes her job seriously, and you get the impression she's really quite lonely.
Money is becoming tight and even though she has a sense of unease she agrees to rent her bottom apartment to enigmatic Gabriel Angelescuro, from here it is hold on to your hat, as the drama unfolds, conflicts flow, battles abound Maddy finds she has vicious enemiess, a minefield of rules & regulations to adhere to souls to save & Demons to defeat.
It is not very often you find so many supporting characters that are so well rounded and exciting to read. I enjoyed the whole book, Christina Henry's world is well knitted, complex & a joy to read. The romance was secondry for me, it was the storyline & world the author had built that made this urban fantasy special.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Wings.