Jennifer's Reviews > The Inheritance

The Inheritance by Simon Tolkien

Jan 13, 2011

it was ok
Read from January 10 to 13, 2011

I felt like this book was two stories competing with each other within one book. First, you have the murder mystery. And then you have this other mystery of a missing codex and artifact. Tolkien tries, unsuccessfully, to intertwine these two stories, but the end product is a mismash that leaves you feeling cheated out of both stories. What I am trying to say is that I would have much rather have had either a much longer book that developed the codex/artifact chase more deeply or two separate books, one dealing with the murder mystery and trial and another devoted to the codex/artifact chase. Sure, the two were linked in this book, but I felt that the book could have stood alone on the murder mystery & trial. And speaking of the murder mystery, it was pretty obvious who was the real murder was very early on. The only thing that kept me reading was that I wanted to find out what the murderer's motive was. And the outcome of the trial.

All in all, it was an ok mystery. As for the characters...I really never developed a connection with any of them. I felt that the author could have spent more time developing his characters. At first, I found it very difficult to even remember who was who because there were so many characters all introduced at the same time.

If you enjoy Dan Brown and John Grisham, you will enjoy this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Inheritance.